Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mom's!!

Last week was so crazy! So somehow I ended up being the 'Ohana rep for Tali's pre-school class. It's basically like the classroom "mom." Her teacher and I are classmates and she approached me because apparently they announced it at a bunch of parent meetings and no one wanted to do it.

So the first social I organized was a "Pre-School Pa'ina" *pa'ina means party in Hawaiian* and I was super nervous. Were not from this side of the island and I didn't know anyone and I'm like a really inexperienced mom...some moms have their six or seventh kid in Tali's class and I feel really inexperienced.

This past week we did a Pre-school Pa'ina: Part II - The Holiday Hang Out. It was basically a Christmas party with a secret Santa gift exchange, sugar cookie decorating, Christmas card making, and a potluck with games. *After deciding all these ideas and passing out invitations, I forgot I had my masters final to take the same week*

I was very nervous because I didn't know if people would want to do all those things...and I didn't know how much help I was going to get. Luckily, two moms volunteered to make sugar cookies. They had a parent child activity the same day doing gingerbread houses so luckily I didn't have to worry about cookie decorations.

The first potluck didn't go too well so at the Holiday Hang Out I was real specific about what to bring. I didn't want to ask people for main dishes cause I didn't want to put a huge burden on anyone.

So the morning of the activity I woke up at 4 am and defrosted the hams. Then I wrapped gift baskets for the teachers made of gifts that families secretly gave to me. Then I made four sample Christmas cards for people to copy. The next thing was wrapping Talitha's secret gift and one extra one in case people forgot. The last thing was making the frostings and putting everything aside to take.

The gingerbread house making activity went well...it was fun!




but I wasn't sure if people would want to do all the activities I thought up. Surprisingly everyone loved making the Christmas cards and I brought all the right supplies *this is one sample*




I bought sticky foam which was a hit! And printed out phrases that people could stick on. EVERY parent and child was totally into this activity. I was so happy. The cookie decorating was simple and I brought clear cellophane, gift plates, and different types of ribbon if people wanted to give their cookies and cards as a gift.

There was a small break before the potluck and I was able to run home and grab my ham. The potluck had a waaaayy better spread since I controlled a little better what people brought. The games were fun! All the parents were laughing and interacting and getting to know eachother. The teachers loved their gifts. The kids received their secret Santa gifts...no one forgot! It was awesome!

I was so tired but went straight to work after the potluck and Kalo watched the girls. I was soo tired that night but stayed up all night studying for my final...I wanted to sleep after my final but I had to work right after.

Reflecting on everything I mentioned to Tavo that I really felt like I was becoming a "mother." At 4am while preparing all the pre-school stuff I actually thought "I wonder how many times my mom did this for me when I was young." I was actually very appreciative of all the sleepless nights my mom had to prepare things for us kids...and how tired she must have been but still went to work.

I am still amazed at how at different steps in my child's life I'm able to learn how much sacrifice mothers give. When I was nursing I thought "wow that was hard" but then another stage comes and I think "nursing was easy...being a classroom mom is hard."

I am so grateful for mother's and all their secret sacrifice that makes life so enjoyable:) u mom!

-Blogpress on iPhone is Awesome!!

1 comment:

Lele said...

Love this post Adria.. you really are super mom of America!! And its probably because, as you said, you had a stellar mom yourself. Happy new years to the best tupolaz I know!! We really miss yal still :)