Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Graduation


On May 14 I finally did it! Walked in graduation ceremony to receive my masters degree. I set the goal in 2005 with one of my BYU professors that I would get my masters by the time I was 30! And I did it .

I feel so grateful to my professor for his inspiration in pushing me towards life time goals. I feel so grateful to Kamehameha for awarding me the 'Imi Na'auao scholarship which was a huge financial blessing to my little family. I guess I should also add that I'm soooo grateful that my mom is Hawaiian & that I've reaped huge benefits from Kamehameha. I also am so grateful to my husband who was always supportive and never discouraged me from reaching my highest potential.

Finishing this degree feels a million times different from when I graduated with a BA from BYU. First off there was no lei ceremony . Secondly only my parents & a friend were actually at the ceremony. Thirdly I just got off my mission & every thing kind of felt like a blur.

This time around I felt like it took a lot of concentrated effort. I actually felt my mind expanding when I would study. I had 2 kids while in grad school. We moved states. We bought a house. Tavo changed careers. This degree took a lot more concentration because there was a lot of commotion going on in my life.

I had some of my classmates, almost all of my family, friends from church, and YW from Waipiolani & Nanakuli ward all attend. It was such a different feeling.

I'm a wife now, I'm a mom now, I'm a YW leader to a lot of girls I love, I'm a teacher to many dear students. Overall I just want to thank the Lord that everything turned out the way it did.

It felt so good to go with my husband alone to dinner at Roy's afterwards. I cried tears of gratitude & joy .




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: