
Today started off really cold and wet!! There were only three drips of milk left to serve cereal to Cumorah and Tali. Trying to pack and lunch and there's peanut butter...no jelly, cheese...no meat, mayonaise....no tuna!! I'm doomed what to make Tali for lunch?!?! I'm ashamed to say all we had was turkey bacon and crackers. So we rush to school and ONE MINUTE LATE!! I had to fill out a late slip and blocked in some cars to run Tali in. Despite all the hectic-ness I made it to Laie in plenty of time to drop Cumorah to my friend's place and make it to volunteer at the temple.
Upon arrival I met up with my sister in law. We walked in the back chapel where they had people giving instruction for every particular duty. I still didn't know where I'll would be serving but I was excited to find out! We walked into the temple and one by one volunteers were chosen to man posts as we continue the tour. Finally my sister in law and I were chosen to stand near the women's dressing room. We were excited to know that it was air conditioned and there were chairs to sit when tours weren't passing through.
Our shift started at 11:30 and ended at 4:00 pm. There were tours of large groups, small groups, disabled groups, youth groups, non-members, and members. People were dressed in differing attire: Some looked like they came from the beach, some looked like they came from the airport, and others were wearing their Sunday best. Despite the different clothes, faces, and types of people, I got the same feeling from everyone. There was a quiet excitement that everyone felt. People strayed from their tour groups to look at the beautiful paintings. Other's admired the new wood and wall paper. Eyes were wide open so as not to miss a single detail. It seemed as if everyone had gotten the "memo" that the Laie Temple open house would be a once in a life time opportunity.
In almost every group there was someone I knew from different times and places in my life. I saw a girl I grew up with that recently got baptized. I saw a sister that taught my Sunday school when I was twelve. I saw co-workers from PCC. I saw my piano students from Mililani. I saw college buddies. It was like a great big reunion of friends and family. It was so symbolic because I imagined that to be very similar one day after this life. It was a happy feeling to see so many loved ones from different stages in my life all gathered together at such a sacred place.
There was one lady that mentioned she had passed the temple at least 100 times in her life and never thought she would be able to come in. She was a devout Catholic but decided to attend the open house to make her "mormon" relatives happy. Another lady had severe asthma and could only take a few steps and had to stop. Her tour guide patiently made accommodations so that she could still see the tour. Huge families of 8-10 children attended, but it surprised me that there was no fighting amongst the children, no crying babies. It was reverent for the five hours that I stood and held my right arm up to show people down the correct hallway. The smooth transitions between tour groups and from usher to usher reminded me of the perfection and order that can always be found in the Lord's house. On every corner stood an usher to guide the groups around. Even the most simple duty of pushing the elevator button and escorting disabled tours was covered by one volunteer.
I felt the importance of every volunteer as I received a tour after my shift. I realized that every arm gesture and smile was gratefully received by every guest. Everyone was so thankful for the special attention they received by every usher and tour guide. It reminded me of the importance of every calling and every individual in the church.
Although the temple was not yet re-dedicated I felt like I was re-learning many childhood lessons in the house of the Lord. I am so grateful to have been a small part of the temple open house.
5 comments:
What an amazing experience! Thank you for posting about this! I need a little reminder!
i like how you mentioned how symbolic your experience was to the life after. so true! so glad you were able to do that; hopefully we can make it out there soon before the rededication. thanks for sharing your awesome experience :)
Oh! what a blessing you got to do that! what a beautiful experience!
That was so beautifully written. I am SO glad I had the opportunity to walk through the temple. It is so beautiful. And what a wonderful experience for you both. How special. :) Thank you for that wonderful post!
I'm so happy that the temple is open for all to see. We went this past monday and I LOVED it! We took the kids and Na'u was soooo excited to finally go into the temple. She knows that place because of our wedding pictures and she always tells me that she is going to get a big wedding dress, go to the temple, and get married. The temple is such a wonderful place and I know alot of hearts have been touched.
Post a Comment